Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Employee/ Personnel Relocation to South Korea

Employee/ Personnel Relocation to South Korea

Employee relocation to South Korea is possible through a special category of visa, namely the D permit. The procedure is not complicated, however, it requires attention from both the employer and the workers, as there are certain formalities to complete.

Below, our local specialists explain the main procedure related to personnel relocation to South Korea. Since the process is usually employed by foreign companies, we are at your disposal with support for intra-company transfers and opening a company in Korea.

Employee relocation to Korea – Procedure

Personnel relocation to South Korea implies applying for a D-7 visa or intra-company transfer permit. The applicant, namely the worker to be transferred, must apply for the visa in person at the South Korean embassy or consulate in his home country or the state he/she currently works in.

Applicants who already possess a certificate of visa issuance or certification number of visa issuance need to submit:

  • their valid passports;
  • the application form;
  • the certificate of visa issuance or certification number of visa issuance.

The visa or certification number of visa issuance implies obtaining an acknowledgment from the South Korean Immigration Department prior to the transfer. It takes about 2 weeks to obtain the visa certificate. Then, the D visa is issued in approximately 5 to 7 business days.

Feel free to contact our agents for detailed information on the procedure for obtaining the visa certificate and the intra-company transfer permit. South Korea offers various residence options for foreigners seeking to move there. If you are interested in immigration to Korea and you want to know what it entails, our lawyers can help you. They are at your disposal with detailed guidance in the best way to relocate and obtain the type of residence visa you want.

Our company registration advisors in Korea can also set up a branch here.

You can also rely on our South Korean accountants for tax advice and planning solutions, especially if you are a foreign investor who need support in understanding to maximize profits in a legal manner. Get acquainted with the procedures that help you save money and get in touch with our specialists for support in putting them into practice.

The D-7 intra-company transfer visa for South Korea

Employees who are transferred to South Korea are given the D-7 Intra Company Transfer Visa. The D-7-1 will be given to an individual who formerly worked for a multinational company and is now moving to a South Korean office. The D-7-2 will be given to an employee who formerly worked for a South Korean corporation in a foreign branch and is now moving to a domestic branch.

The employee relocation procedure to South Korea under both types of visas is the same, and only the documents to be filed slightly differ.

If you want to immigrate to Korea, there are also other types of visas that can be used to work or do business, so if you need information about them, you can rely on us.

In order to obtain South Korean residency, you can launch a business, make an investment in an existing company, purchase real estate, participate in a government-supported fund, or contribute to a development idea. The conditions for each of them can be explained by our immigration lawyers who can also offer support with the relocation.

Documents to obtain a visa certificate for personnel relocation to South Korea

As mentioned previously, before starting the intra-company transfer procedure to Korea, a visa certificate must be obtained on behalf of the foreign employee. In this sense, the following documents need to be prepared:

  • a visa application form;
  • a passport with 6 months of remaining validity and a copy of the travel document;
  • recent photos (no older than 3 months);
  • certificates of professional qualifications, or other credentials;
  • the contract of employment;
  • the business registration license (where the case requires);
  • tax reports and financial transactions made by the business during the prior fiscal year;
  • a sponsorship letter from a South Korean company;
  • fee payment receipts.

After arrival to South Korea, the foreign employee will also be issued an Alien Registration Card in approximately 5 weeks. The validity of this visa is a maximum of 3 years.

Our lawyers are also at your service if you want to get a residence permit for Korea. A specific long-term stay visa, which is frequently obtained by expats and confers rights very similar to having a permanent residency status, also has point systems in place. However, you can only remain in South Korea permanently if you have a permanent residence permit.

How many foreigners live in South Korea?

According to recent data, at the level of 2021, there were 1.1 million foreigners living in South Korea. In terms of foreign employees:

  • 165,000 of the foreign employees worked in the capital, Seoul;
  • by comparison, their number in 2020 was 162,000.

If are interested in employee/personnel relocation to South Korea and need support, do not hesitate to contact us.